BEST CARROT CAKE
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 60 mins
Nutrition per serving:
What you need :
For the cake:
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup (200g) coconut sugar
• scant ⅔ cup (150ml) olive oil
• 3 large carrots, finely grated
• ⅜cup (50g) walnuts, chopped + more to garnish
• ⅜cup (75g) pineapple, finely chopped (fresh or canned)
• ½ cup (50g) desiccated coconut
• 2 cups (200g) all-purpose wheat flour, sifted
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 2 tsp. cinnamon
•pinch of salt
For the frosting:
• 4 ½ oz. (130g) Philadelphia cream cheese
• ¼ cup (50g) butter, soft
• 4 tbsp. powdered sugar or other sweeteners
What do you need to do :
Keep the eggs at room temperature. Whisk them with a hand blender until they are double the volume. Add sugar and continue to whisk until the mass is smooth and fluffy. Still whisking at high speed, slowly pour the oil, then transfer into a bowl.
Add in the grated carrots, pineapple, walnuts, coconut and mix gently. Pre-heat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
Sift flour into a separate bowl, add baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt, then mix well. Fold in with the carrot mixture and gently combine all ingredients.
Transfer the dough into a 9 inch (24cm) cake tin lined with baking paper. Bake for 1 hour or an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before covering with frosting.
To make the frosting:
While the cake is baking, beat the cream cheese together with the soft butter and powdered sugar. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
Cut the completely cooled cake horizontally into two parts. Cover the bottom part with ⅓ of the frosting and then place the other piece of the cake back on top. Spread the remaining frosting over the top of the cake. Garnish with walnuts (optional).
Store in the fridge.